Tuesday 16 January 2018

CERTIFICATES OF NATURALISATION .. TROVE TUESDAY 16TH JAN, 2018 - SERIES 4







CERTIFICATES OF NATURALISATION
SERIES 4


Occasionally you come across something that is too good not to share. While the first set of images below predate the lists that I will post further on, I couldn't resist posting these as a matter of interest.

 This is a Naturalization (sic) Certificate isssued in 1860 to Samuel Edward Boldner of Hungary. It gives his age, the ship he arrived on and when and why he applied for citizenship. If only all documents were written in such a clear and well formed hand.

N.B. see comments below re ship..thanks to Pauleen Cass

 TROVE to the rescue yet again...









Click to enlarge




  • Naturalisation Document - Issued to Henry Friedrich Hahn, Redesdale, Victoria, 18 May 1897






    Click to enlarge



    This is an  example of the type of certificate issued from 1921- 1937





    I found this interesting in that Richard Hugo Junge, having been granted citizenship on September 12, 1921, 'abandoned the use of my said name'.. and adopted the anglicised name of Richard Hugo Young on October 8th, 1921... I would think that it was far easier than explaining the spelling of his original name time and again.








    Government Gazette of the State of New South Wales (Sydney, NSW : 1901 - 2001), Friday 14 October 1921 
    National Library of Australia
    http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article222044560






























    Some further lists of Certificates of Naturalisation... (Naturalization)..

    Please note, these aren't necessarily in alphabetical order, though most are...






    Commonwealth of Australia Gazette (National : 1901 - 1973), Thursday 17 November 1921 (No.90), page 221 


    National Library of Australia http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article232183780 

















    Commonwealth of Australia Gazette (National : 1901 - 1973), Thursday 22 December 1921 (No.96), page 2 

    National Library of Australia http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article232183997 










    I would love to hear from you if you have found the names and address of anyone you are researching. So far, of all the thousands of names I have looked through, I have found three possible connections to my Greek grandfather... they are familiar names to me, but an older family friend is checking connections for me. Wish me luck.

    Lists and images all courtesy of TROVE.

    ©Crissouli Jan16, 2018

    2 comments:

    1. That’s a great find! Now if only George Kunkel’s would turn up...my theory is he got naturalised just in time to avoid all the questions. BTW I think/thought that the Yarra Yarra was a coastal vessel. Happy to be corrected on that.

      ReplyDelete
    2. You are correct re the 'Yarra, Yarra'...http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/MaritimeHeritage/researchcentre/wreckyarra.htm

      However there was a ship called the 'Maid of Yarra' that I have found...I wonder if it was confused with this one... it does seem likely.

      https://www.linc.tas.gov.au/archive-heritage/guides-records/Pages/Immigrant-ships.aspx

      Dec. 31 (1855) Schomberg [Maid of Yarra from Melbourne] Liverpool Launceston 15 (migrants on board)

      ReplyDelete

    I welcome your comments. All will be moderated before publication.