Tuesday 27 March 2018

CERTIFICATES OF NATURALISATION SERIES 6a TROVE TUESDAY, TUESDAY 27TH MARCH, 2018





CERTIFICATES OF NATURALISATION SERIES 6a

Australian Citizenship Certificate (Wiki Commons)

Thanks to those who requested some more years of these lists, They are particulaly helpful as they include addresses... I did say I'd give them a break and then continue for a couple of years' lists at least. ... 

Note that these contain a few lists of different months. Each month's list is in alpha order. I was delighted to find my great grandmother's maiden name listed... though I don't really know if there is a connection. It is slightly unusual, so I'm not dismissing the idea.. rather I will save it and try to follow up.

It is in the second page of this batch, March 9th, 1925..

Megaloconomos, Anthony, 346 High Street, West Maitland, NSW

My great grandmother was Stavroula Megaloconomos, who married Konstandine Coroneo. They had 10 ten children, the youngest was Chrisanthe, my paternal grandmother, born in Potamos, Kythera, in 1882. I have no knowledge of any of her mother's family also coming to Australia, though some of her siblings did... not sure how many. Family information wasn't really forthcoming about my paternal side, that was my 'grandmother's family' as far as my Dad was concerned, nothing to do with me... It hasn't made research easy, but still I try.  

When I find something like this, I make sure to save it in NOTES in my Family Tree program, as well as in my Indexed Searches book, under the SURNAME, so therefore under M, listing all details of where found and with whom there is a possible connection, as well as a note under G.. Greek ancestors, always cross linking. That way, I am sure to see at least one of the entries over coming months. It is far too easy to forget the moment you turn away...so many ancestors to find and only one lifetime!

For those with Greek heritage, there are quite a number of Greek names listed...as well as those of many other countries.

Good luck with your searches..



Commonwealth of Australia Gazette (National : 1901 - 1973), Thursday 2 April 1925 (No.29), page 448
National Library of Australia http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article232529848 









Commonwealth of Australia Gazette (National : 1901 - 1973), Thursday 25 June 1925 (No.49), page 989 
National Library of Australia http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article232530381 

This includes a lot more European names...many Greeks, Italians, and others.



I decided to look further for my 'possible' ancestor, Anthony Megaloconomos, as mentioned above. 

Experienced researchers are allowed to yawn and move on, but we all have to start somewhere, so the following guide is for those who are new to NAA in particular.


First stop.... National Archives of Australia.. NAA.. record search..naturalisation records. There he is... with the whole 11 pages of his naturalisation application in 1924, OPEN, so available to all and free of charge.

 I could go through page by page and download each as I go, or use the easier way, go to SODA.. at soda.naa.gov.au .. click on barcode retrieval and add Anthony's Barcode Number, which can be found on the first page of the Digital Copy. Once retrieved, on the first page, you will notice a list of symbols at the end of the column to the right hand side of the page.  Look for the printer symbol, click on that and you can print, or if your system allows, save as a .pdf instead. 

As this file includes correspondence, you will now see 13 pages.You can, of course, save just the images you wish to, but in my experience, you don't know what pages you may just want at a later date if you don't save all.

I won't post all pages here, (you can breathe easily) just a couple for example.. as always, you can click to enlarge... hard as it would have been, Anthony had to renounce his Greek nationality. 





























Am I closer to finding a relative .. 
Anthony, whose father's name was Nicholas Megaloconomos, was born in Kythera/Kithera, as was my great grandmother, Stavroula. He was born on 15th January,1893... possibly an older cousin of my grandmother, who was born in 1882? 
He arrived in Sydney, Australia in 1911, on S.S. Ville de la Ciota. Find My Past has the shipping records... he has come from Marseilles to Melbourne, from there to Sydney. 



However, it was in July, not December according to the records.
I still have no proof that Anthony belongs to my family...
but maybe I'm getting closer to the answer... all from looking at naturalisations lists to start with.



A lot more digging to do as yet, but at least this unexpected find may lead to filling in some gaps.

The point of this exercise? 

Never dismiss a possible connection, save it, note it in several places and revisit. 

'New' records become available all the time. Watch for them, note down details when you see some new listings that you want to look at...and allocate some 'loose search' time on a regular basis. Just because you may have looked some time ago, doesn't mean a data collection hasn't been added to. 

Where possible, subscribe to updates.. happy hunting!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Fingers crossed re relative connections. Thanks for the print/save tips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not exactly a common name, and many of those who came, shortened their name to make it easier for Aussies to pronounce. Most of Megaloconomos became Conomos...so this really 'jumped' out. If only I was considered to be part of a larger family.. O:-)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments. All will be moderated before publication.